View Single Post
Old 06.11.2010, 07:49 AM   #134
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Interesting, I'm not too big of a fan either but I didn't know if I just wasn't trying hard enough.

I know a lot of people don't like this line of thinking, but part of the thing with classical music is that it's not necessarily a visceral, primal pleasure but more often 'academic' (in a loose sense). It took me ages to get the hang of R Strauss on an emotional level, but I was sat there for a while going 'but it's clearly very good'. I think with classical music - and a lot of 'art' music in general - it's kind of ok to not feel like something is 'beautiful' but to admire the construction, playing and so on in a cerebral sense.

I don't think this means that you need to have formal training in music theory (I certainly don't have that), and classical music isn't meant to be a museum piece, but a little bit of standing back from the visceral thrills of rock music is important.

On that note, something like Xenakis appeals to a lot of people on this board because, on the surface, it seems very similar to a lot of white noise-type stuff. I've been writing something with a mate recently about how Xenakis' most important contribution to music doesn't really occur in the sound produced (which would require astonishing hearing to seriously differentiate between a 'good' and a 'bad' recording, in terms of his tone-cloud stuff) but is mostly about the abstract, theoretical ideas of his composition. But yeah, I think Xenakis is doing something far too complex to be appreciated purely as the 'surface noise' (although, obviously, it's fine to appreciate it like that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|