View Single Post
Old 03.22.2010, 09:20 AM   #17
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
I do not have insurance right now because it is cheaper for me to pay the doctor outright for services and just buy generic prescriptions. WE have insurance at work, but if I purchased it for my entire family it wouls cost me nearly 2 weeks pay, plus the deductables you have to meet. So why would I pay for nothing? When you see a doctor here they charge "self pay" patients half of what they charge a person ho does have insurance. It works out in my benefit, but seems to be a little scammish. I can take my kids to the clinic 15 minutes from my house for $25.00. They can get free anti biotics at publix and at walmart they have a huge list of generic medications that are $4.00. I am lucky to have a small amount health issues to deal with otherwise I would have to fork out cash to insurance companies.

I hope the bill works out well. I am glad they finally decided on SOMETHING. It may not live up to all it's hype, but I believe it is a step in the right direction. If the government is resposible for our education, than I don't see why it should not take any resposibility for the health of it's citizens. We do have medicaid, but you have to be pregnant or literally sit on your ass with no type of income to be elligible.

In fact, when I became pregnant with my son, I had literally dropped my insurance 2 months before because i could no longer afford it. We had no plans to get pregnant and were taking the proper precautions and lo and behold I was pregnant. So I made an appointment with the OB, but they would not see me until I had $4000 to give them, which I did not have at that time of my life. With my husband's income we made to much to recieve medicaid. I had no other choice but to only state my income and not mt husband's so I could be elligible. I did not get to see a doctor until I was nearlt 4 months pregnant ( I spent the first 3 trying to come up with $4000 plus the other $12,000 minimum I would owe the doctor alone). The first question I get asked by the doctor when I finally get in is "Why did you wait so long to get prenatal care?" I have to say Medicaid has wonderfull care. My hospital room was like a hotel, and they automatically covered my child for the first year and myself for 3 months afterward.

If pursued and run correctly I think a government based health system would work well. Being a doctor is supposed to be about helping people not profits.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|