View Single Post
Old 08.19.2009, 02:48 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Allogro Stickatto:

In the summertime, we seek shade. In the wintertime, we seek warmth. There's no time for shuddering or whimpering. Even this wears off in time. We stretch back into the past, but we are here now, on the red hag of the 1800's whistling jail cell.

Do you view music as a continuum, an accumulation... or what?

The Buttonup Skeleton:

Whether our music is a continuum or, uh, contumely... Those are words that the music critics use to describe things. You must realize that with such words are you are dealing with an after-the-fact treatment of events. You are already lost. Even the most accurate of music critic description is still dealing with a history where the ghost has gone by. Now, uh, music is certainly a cumulous of notes... You accumulate a lot of notes after playing for a while. I am one of the less musical of the members but I can still say certainly that some of us have played more than two hundred notes. I only know twelve or thirteen notes, but that is still a hell of an accumulation. For me I feel like too much knowledge can haunt you and put you out of your mind... Music is accumulation versus reading, which sucks knowledge out of you and onto the page. Or maybe that is writing. I get confused when reading versus writing is concerned. Somebody ought to invent a continuum or vacuum mower that blows the knowledge right out of your head and into belly of a machine. I would like all human knowledge to disappear into a vacuum of thick ether. You can hear about this in our song Rise of the Common Woodpile... First insect music and then a long wintery silence. This can't come soon enough as far as many of us are concerned.

Allogro Stickatto:

We accumulate everything we can for long winters, tight times, long travels, repair of delicate machines. It's hard to find things when we need them, but we know they're all there, and usually we use them all. How does one accumulate a princely fortune? At the beginning.

Please elaborate on Caroliner's use of costume. What purpose does this serve?

B.E. Waxwheel:

Caroliner prefers perfect country western diety attire to costume. It's a misnomer to point and gaggle at the nugging dress of your elders when there is endless information being thrown your way. Old jaws from fish, why are they so much in abundance on the sporty end of the hankaneck? Is there one on each cuff? Why were clay plates doubling as buttons in our heritage? Would one wear a pickled crown of awful outside of the quatahouse? If you were avoiding a gulelamb in your home could a lowered wooden leg plank keep it at your convienent respite? The horse rider woven suit was good for what purpose? How is the stage presentation showing us proper uses?

A Caroliner coutorier is a welcome education tool as much as a stepped upon, worn lyric sheet.

Allogro Stickatto:

Every man is the builder of his own temple, called his body, to the god he worships, in a style purely his own. We are all sculptors and painters, and our material is our own flesh and blood and bones. Socks and a long shirt are all most of us need, but some of us need a little bit more. Clothing refreshed! Most people don't understand that out here, there are no tailors. You need to fend for yourself. Sometimes you just need to keep warm, and sometimes you need to look presentable. Sometimes you just need to look distracting so that people can be separated from their money.

The Buttonup Skeleton:

The costumes are supposed to repesent different periods and persons of history, so it is in part our historical effort. Also, you can't tell if there is anyone in them... So, for example, if I am performing in the band Caroliner and my partner in the band is standing there next to me, I can't really tell and I can forget that I am playing with anyone. The overall effect is fading into the inanimate. Set against the right backdrop it can just look like a lot of tables and shelves up on the stage. Just an automatic band doing its thing completely alien to human activity. This, maybe, is our aim, ultimately to stop playing music and just manufacture cursed places. Maybe a room that would jump down into the audience and take possession of the reins of world administration. A world administered from the vantage of the furniture store would be much more peaceful.

Caroliner's music is extremely colourful, in terms of both music and performance. Can you outline the importance of colour to Caroliner's aesthetic, sonically and visually?

The Buttonup Skeleton:
You will have to ask someone else about this because I haven't seen color since my barnyard incident. Stay away from sparks that can alter your vision.

Allogro Stickatto:

Is it an essential coloration? Is an essential whiteness no more than the visible absence of color? Nobody's thinking about these colors very much. It gets to be that you just can't see the forest through the trees. It's always the same colors, isn't it? Usually green or brown turning an orangish yellow when the season horns it's mantle.

B. E. Waxwheel:

I will have a go. If you have stared at the sun all too often without food there is something much like a pioneers life right there in front of your troubled brain. Caroliner has cheated the toile of mixing your inner thought with the physical hardship in lieu. We give you pioneer life in the high starved colour without the 10 day recovery. The roar of sound might be a Sugar Ax Smith taking you apart in the switchgrass OR it's just Caroliner up to olde tricks mysteriously handing you a pair of legs back at the end of the concert when we wink with basket eyes and say "you can leave for home quickly, and thank you for coming."

What does the group's ever-changing appellation say about the music, if anything?

The Buttonup Skeleton:
I make it a point to have an appellation on me at all times. I keep it pinned to the breast of my jacket. You have to, uh, change your appellation... It's not fashionable, the ladies won't appreciate it immemorial. You need to have different appellations. They are an ornamentation to your lifestyle. This is a modern trend. People change into different things to represent the changing lifestyle. You drink an elixir, and change into a desk or an animal... This is moderne, but in line with the antique horror I was telling you about. I approve of this particular modernist's activity.

Allogro Stickatto:

He is blessed who is assured that the animal is dying out in him day by day. Sometimes it says one thing, sometimes it says another. Whichever name is retained by the various dealers is none of our business as long as it doesn't hurt business.

Can you spare a few words on mainstream incarnations of psychedelia. What function do you think these manifestations serve in comparison to Caroliner's releases, tours, etc?

Allogro Stickatto:

Caroliner is a manifestation of something very old, and will continue to be so.

The Buttonup Skeleton:
Put any moderne appellation manifestation of the mainstream next to Caroliner and it should be an education for you. We don't traffic in any kind of manifestation; our currency is the cold dime of history. The production of a Caroliner album goes like this... We go into the book, looking for a particular... year. The album is a travel to a particular time in 1800's history, not like the live performances where we jump up like idiots sometimes knocking the history lyrics book to the ground. There is nothing psychic about it. This is a historical revue based soundly in the records left behind in the past. Many people think this is a fiction or poetry... Just an internal revue of the sight and sound world of the history dweller. People need the inside view of history. There's your hollow core or, uh, scratch yourself out a negative in the history books and get inside and stay there. I hope this answers your question.

Thalamusk:

Spare a few moments? Spare?? Are you mad? What time is this? We are under a deadline!

Caroliner releases tend to be packaged in unorthodox and intriguing ways. What is
the thinking behind this?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|