View Single Post
Old 08.08.2009, 07:43 PM   #7
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
I've grown sick of revivalism. I've been doing a review of the decade's best and worst music on YouTube and I decided to revisit Fischerspooner. There was once a time when I thought those guys were pretty cool, but I gave the video for "Emerge" a spin the other day and I felt it was total crap. The music sounded completely soulless (I know that's the idea, but I prefer vocals that sound human) and they looked absolutely ridiculous. I can't help but wonder what all those magazines were thinking back in 2002 when they were being hailed as refreshing and innovative.

I'm sick of the electro revival, the shred revival, the post-punk revival, the old school rock revival, etc. It's not 1969, 1973, or 1982; it's 2009. Time moves on.

I know it might be asking a lot, but I want the next decade to be dominated by artists who want to truly express themselves and break new ground, not try to recreate some bygone era.

Killthosecops, if you like Ladytron, enjoy them. But I'd rather listen to someone who's not acting like the past 20 years of popular music never happened.

First of all, I think that, by and large, electroclash and even 8-bit (as interesting as I think it is) is going to be seen as a joke a few years down the line. Second of all, I'd also like to see something NEW. I wish there was something that took inspiration from the past (like everything does) but somehow sounded fresh. I think a lot of problem is that people, even the music press, think (or at least though for awhile) that adding electro fx to rock songs made it "super cool and new", even though they had already done that in the 70s 80s. And the results were generally just as bad. Electronic music, to me, isn't really that much more interesting or new than rock music. I mean, we've had synths in pretty wide use since the 70s, right? So I don't really know what to think.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|