View Single Post
Old 07.01.2009, 02:18 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
is my favorite solo record in the entire SY discography. Yknow what, it's actually one of my favorite records in the entire discography period, I like it as much as any of my favorite records; "Bad Moon Rising", "Evol", "Silver Sessions", "Confusion is Sex", and "Goo". I honestly think it's as good if not better than some of those. Lee's solo records just sound more like legitimate records. I like Thurston's guitar noise albums plain and fine. I remember in Blastitude Larry Dolman remarked the good thing about Thurston's noise releases is they intersperse both essential and non-essential sounds into the same tracks, giving them a very casual sound. The casualness makes them seem less wanky, and sometimes it's real good, and at times real vicious, like some of the tracks on that "Thrash Sabbatical" set with those L.A. noise bads like Kevin Shields and the likes. Lee's experimental records, however, are very well thought out and even sometimes composed. He honestly has an amazing grip on arranging experimental sounds, and this record in particular is fantastically diverse, interesting, and mind-blowing. I've been listening it to a ton this week, and you can tell at the time Lee was getting into some awesome shit. The album has that fractured guitar feedback sound of "Confusion...", some amazing psychedelic noise, excellent concrete cut up techniques and electronic sounds, and a heavy nod to the more fucked up Post-Punk and Industrial bands of the time (to me, very SPK and Throbbing Gristle-influenced). This record sounds like it was made by multiple people, all from different aspects of the experimental scene, but it was just Lee being totally inspired and going off the deep end with fucked up sounds. The tracks are nice and short in comparison with 95 percent of noise music, giving a nice flow to the album with the rapid sucession of different and interesting sounds. I mean you get the track "Slo Drone", and it's exactly that, a thick ominous drone sound, and that only lasts a couple minutes and right after you hear this reppetitive dada clanky noise rhythm that takes you right out of the daze on the track "New Groove Loop". Next track after that is like a fractured No Wave song, reminds me of early Youth being remixed by Kevin Drumm or something. So many noise bands today, and so few of them have come close to what Lee acheived with this record, and this was made in my birth year for christ's sakes, 1987, Highly reccomended.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|