View Single Post
Old 06.18.2009, 07:48 PM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Pixies
Pixies At The BBC
1998, 4AD

The Pixies are very high on my list of best bands ever and this compilation is a pretty good explanation of why. Though SURFER ROSA is easily my favorite Pixies album, it obviously only highlights one aspect/era of the band. And no matter how many times the labels have tried, a "best of" never quite seems to get the story right. But this. This collection of tracks recorded for various BBC sessions throughout the band's rather short career is so fucking perfect, it's almost unreal.

Unlike the usual bestof/greatesthits/singles collections, the set list here is actually super weird. It combines singles, covers, bsides, etc with no regard for commercial viability. The surf tracks mesh with the rawk tracks and creepy riffs and droney singing and..... I can't even say it right. But more importantly, every track is fucking awesome.

The set opens with "Wild Honey Pie." Do I need to say anything else? It opens with a fucking WHITE ALBUM Beatles cover. What the fuck? Who does that? And then it lurches into a version of "There Goes My Gun" that makes me think the DOOLITTLE version totally flacid. Actually same goes for the LP versions of "Is She Weird?", "Subbaculta," and "Hey" to be honest. The versions here are so much more spontaneous and intense sounding.

Throw in a perfect take on the b-side "Manta Ray," the UK Surf version of "Wave Of Mutilation," and OM fucking G... "The Lady In The Radiator Song" from muthafuckin' ERASERHEAD!!!

This album is the balls, dudes. Fucking get it.