Thread: Why vinyl?
View Single Post
Old 05.28.2009, 12:16 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's interesting that the decrease in tactile surfaces on the medium of music seems to have increased the number of people engaging with, and producing, recorded music.

This subject comes around quite frequently, and it's always difficult not to engage. Music's an emotional thing like that, not to mention it's a cultural mnemonic. For myself, I'd almost never buy a second-hand CD, but second-hand LPs are fine. This isn't per se a comment on the quality of the sound-production in the medium, but to do with the mental associations - CDs are small, plastic objects that I struggle to look after; LPs are cumbersome large things with cardboard sleeves. It's not that the sound quality on the LP is better, it's the sheer nature of the object that compels people to care about them.

And in terms of sound quality, I prefer classical music on CD and pretty much everything else (except necessarily long music) on wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|