View Single Post
Old 05.11.2009, 12:01 AM   #399
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Hmmm. After 2-3 listens I'm somewhat split on the new album. It's interesting. I get the feeling it's an album that was meant to play to the base: those hardcore Sonic Youth fans who were pissed off at the "clean" sound and lack of dissonance on Rather Ripped. I think it purposely goes for that classic SY sound, and is full of Sonic Youth-isms. On the other hand, it just strikes me as kind of uninspired. It's like Goo-Dirty-EJST&NS-era Sonic Youth revisited. It's fine, but I enjoyed that sound from the band more the first time around. Now of course being a huge Sonic Youth fan, them going for a classic sound is going to have some appeal for me. I like their variety of noise pop/rock, which is why I've been a fan. I just feel they've lost a little of their novelty with this one.