View Single Post
Old 12.06.2008, 12:42 AM   #9
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
even though audacity is free the program is actually not a good sounding program it is destructive to the quality of the signal even when ripping an mp3. if you are a member of any torrent sites you should be able to get protools or digital performer, both high quality programs, however i personally am not a fan of the midi side of protools i find it tedious and not as accurate os digital performer. i would say the sound card depending on what you use in not the problems with your recordings. the most likely problems would be a) wrong mics b) bad mic placement c) bad cable [something like canare star quad cable will give you 3db more gain due to less resistance]. I am in total agreeance with Glice about getting a good sound before hitting record. The flat and boring may also be your monitor speakers and maybe even your expectation about what you think it should sound like before you have done any eq'ing etc. If it isn't sounding right, just sticking a whole lot of plugins isn't going to fix the problem, in fact almost everyone i know sees through that immediately.

I would recommend digital performer or protools. These are both highly regarded programs in the industry and there is a reason for this, simply they are good. Now I'm not recommending you go out and steel them but I am recommending you download them and try them out. Keep in mind that protools is hardware specific where as digital performer will function with any soundcard.

And in the end you may just be expecting far too much out of the gear that you actually have. Mic preamps can get very expensive even just for a single channel you can pay over $5000au. SO i guess don't expect your stuff to sound great if 1) you don't have the knowledge about how to make it sound good and 2) you don't have the equipment to produce the sort of results you may be looking for.

but if you have any further questions, I am always happy to answer, knowledge is to be shared after all.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|