View Single Post
Old 09.30.2008, 02:06 PM   #31
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'm sorry, what is this thread even about?

I just don't understand who cares about any of this and what point you're trying to make... who cares what certain people think a genre should be called and what bands fit with what other bands... this is just crazy.. oh well, I'll try to answer...

"post-hardcore = screamo where everyone plays power chords, nobody is really talented" is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board and... is that what you really think? Or, are you describing it from someone else's viewpoint? If so, I apologize, and really that's brilliant if you're describing music from the point of view of someone who doesn't understand music.

"Math" isn't a genre, and if you're actually talking about "math rock", not every "math" group has tapping... actually, the whole part of that post where you described genres was pretty boneheaded. Do we still live in a day and age where if a band is tagged as a certain genre, we still have specific expectations on how that band should sound? Uh.. anyway.. Also, "indie" isn't a genre. Again, if you're talking about math ROCK and indie ROCK, none of the bands in those genres sound anything alike. So, what's the point here, again? Why did you write for "indie" ... "See math"?

"Emo culture" means absolutely nothing and your including of it in your, uh, "point", didn't seem to fit at all. I'm wondering if you actually know what emo is. I know there is a difference between emo and what is currently called the emo CULTURE, but just throwing that term in there doesn't really seem to make me understand your point any better.

"In general, whenever I hear someone say that a band is an indie band, I brace myself, because I know they're going to either sound like some Screamo or like Coldplay. ..... I think I get what you're saying, that describing something as "indie" doesn't really let you know what kind of sound they're going to have... sure. Though I don't personally know anyone who describes music as just "indie".

Also, "screamo", man I haven't heard that genre name since Orchid and Cobra Kai and all those awesome bands from like 7 years ago. I'm going to have to dig out some of that shit!

"Why is everything core with these people? Mathcore, metalcore, spazcore, tweecore, emotional hardcore, grindcore." Is that what this post is about? I dunno, all those genres sound pretty distinctly different to me. Unless the word "core" bothers you. If it does, sorry about that. Also, "Spazzcore" is stuff like cutting pink with knives, I think, if it's even a "genre". Arab on Radar is quite clearly just noise rock. Also, "tweecore"... I'd love to hear some of that, I bet tweecore has some awesome bands! Or is that even a genre?

.......Also, the continued mention of DLJ... Drive Like Jehu sounds nothing like any of the other bands mentioned in this thread and it's insulting to group them in with Minus the Bear and the Get Up Kids and Sparta and some of the other shitty bands mentioned in this thread.. and again, DLJ were just noise rock, I don't know what that has to do with any of the "core" bands being mentioned in this thread...

At the Drive-In were a pretty cool band. The Mars Volta are the worst band to have ever existed. They represent everything bad in music. The end.

This thread is one of the most pointless posts ever. Sorry. Not trying to be a dick at all... It's just a stupid thread. It just seems to suggest you have a severe lack of knowledge or you've never bothered to research or explore music beyond anything that dumb people you personally know tell you. I'm not being condescending here and I'm not pretending to know more than I do; your post just doesn't make an ounce of sense to me, so maybe you should enlighten me.. I just don't understand what point(s) you're even trying to make. No offense intended at all.

I think you missed the point of my post. . .
I think you skimmed it in fact. . .

A lot of my favorite bands are classified as being post-hardcore and math rock.

But there seems to be a group of people that like that group of bands who use a bunch of different genre names to differentiate a group of different hardcore bands who really aren't all that different. I'll go to a show and I'll ask someone what kind of music a band their plays, and they'll say "math." So I expect to hear some complex rhythms, maybe some intricate guitar work, and a good drummer. But then it's a hardcore band with no sense of rhythm a drummer who's spastic but incredibly untalented a bassist who cranks his super huge cab so much that it sounds like bantha poodoo, one guitarist just playing power chords, and the other guitarist inaudibly tapping and stepping on a DL4 once in awhile but it doesn't matter because you can't hear him anyways.

I didn't group DLJ with those other bands. I brought them up as being a better post-hardcore band than ATDI. Not that I think ATDI are bad, just not better than FUGAZI or Drive Like Jehu like someone argued.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|