View Single Post
Old 08.27.2008, 01:19 PM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I can see the logic - £100,000 might seem like a lot, but for a five-piece band that translates to £20,000 each. Following this, presumably the shareholders amount for up to 49% of the shares (couldn't be more or they could buy out the band) and it's unlikely the company itself would take less than 30%, leaving the band, hypothetically, with 20% of themselves. Split five ways, that means the band own only 4% of themselves.

You can see the logic if you have the potential to make money back. Presumably the bonds only apply to certain aspects of the band - the record itself and the profits thereof. So the band make their living on merchanise, tossing out a shit free EP of covers of Waterloo Sunset for the morons who subsidise them.

I think it's a wishy-washy idea, and will only work for artists that are 'investible'. Anyone remember Popex? It's basically that idea, but with real money. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but I'd be surprised if a decent enough band that weren't potentially 'big' profitable wouldn't persist down the complete control indie route so as to keep all profits to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|