View Single Post
Old 04.26.2008, 07:00 PM   #28
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
For a long time my fav. band next to SY in the mid to late 90's... then David and Jim broke up... the post gastr david grubbs stuff to me isn't nearly as good, and most of Jim's post gastr recording i think were really good... Upgrade & Afterlife is my fav. album by them from start to finish and a wonderful cover of John Fahey...

First time I ever heard them was seeign them live around 1995ish they performed as a duo on acoustic guitars, then played in an ensemble of TOny Conrad's where they performed a the lengthy piece "Ten Years on an Infinite Plane" it was my first introduction to experiencing experimental and minimalist music live, up to that point i was very into indie rock and it was quite hard to digest! but enjoyable, thus begun my long winding road with this type of music.

that was interesting cuz they were one of my favorite bands too. i personally was more into david grubbs than o'rourke. i tend to find david grubb's albums much better than jim's solos. loved halfway to threeway, but i always found o'rourke's stuff all over the place, meaning not really cohesive as an overall sound. every song sounded very different, i never got a sense of "o'rourke" or felt he had a particular sound or style. i think that's why i like grubb's albums much more. the way grubb's uses poetry in his lyrics are incredible itself. i loved rickets & scurvy, the thicket, and the spectrum between the most. i definitely have a feel for what grubbs is doing and each album has a sound or something that keeps it together in some sort of fashion/system. but, that's just me. i'm sure people preferred grant hart over bob just the same.

my favorite gastr del sol has to be crookt. i really liked john mcentire's work on this album. it was also my first gastr del sol album i bought.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|