View Single Post
Old 03.10.2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Always a good shitstorm this (do I remember rightly that there was a massive one with khchris taking on everyone about this on the old board, or was that the downloading argument? Or both).

"If you make the wrong cut, you can ruin your master..."

It's a good point - digital production can be so faffy. I was editing some things the other day with a mate and we were both in favour of analogue because you can endlessly make the same three decision with digital. With analogue it's just one cut and that's it. No-one short of an utter fascist could produce an album so well put together as Tago Mago now.

I think it's a bit of a miscegenation to suggest it's the same as the vinyl/ CD/ Mp3 debate - personally I'd say that you record as appropriate to the music. Most rock sounds better analogue (hence Albini's defence of it - he produces mostly rock). I would tend to prefer vinyl for most sorts of music, because I'm not fussy about it, but if it's classical you just can't get the clarity from vinyl, I'm afraid. Also, it seems pretty pointless being an electronica [I hate myself] outfit and mastering/ producing/ recording to analogue. Press it to vinyl, sure, but production-wise it's pointless.

Bah. Convoluted point, well done me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|