View Single Post
Old 02.12.2008, 12:36 AM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i love lead singers who pour their emotions into their music, call me a sissy but i still like music that is backed by, i guess, feelings, or whatever.

best angry vocalists:
ian mackaye-pissed about his and his city's music not being taken seriously, pissed by the direction punk was headed in, and just plain pissed. minor threat era ian mackaye was just mad about everything, and when he said he was seeing red, nobody dared asked him what about.

dave dictor-with a raging howling voice screaming lyrics such as, "IIIIIIIIIIIIII HATE MYSELF", self hatred was never so believable, the confusion brought upon by his homosexuality in a mainly testosterone fueled male scene only added to the anger this hardcore madman was spewing.

lydia lunch-sexy, confrontational, and pissed as fuck. lydia completley redefind womens role within rock n roll music, totally taking the spotlight with her growling vocals and angry and abrasive lyrics.

tom araya-hatred. nuff said.

steve albini-no one has a better sounding bitchy whine then steve albini, singing about rape, murder, bondage, albini totally erased any taboo that still existed within extreme music.

henry rollins-say what you want about him, but while keith morris gave black flag a more comical edge, henry came in and made black flag a much more serious, poetic, frustrated, and down right angry band. henry rollins WAS the lead singer of black flag, no disputes.

chuck d-hip hop's angriest street poet, he spit rhymes denouncing government, racism, the music industry, and escapism, chuck d insured that hip hop would not be a passing fad, and that it was as powerful a force in music as any when used correctly.

rob tyner-"well i hear alotta gossip, by a lotta honkies, claiming their the high society, well if you ask me, THIS IS THE HIGH SOCIETY"

david yow-i cant think of any snappy explanation for yow, but he just ruled.

sad:

van morrison: i remember reading an article by lester bangs about how he was super depressed and all he was listening to was white light/white heat and astral weeks, he then said how when feeling down it is simply more hip to go nihilistic, but when listening to van you get the feeling that it is ok to be sad like a normal person. i love that description. what van lacked in lyrical prowess he made up for with the incredible power and emotion in his voice, "if i venture into a slip stream, between the viaduct of your dream, would you find me, would you kiss on my eyes".

ian curtis-ian was the first singer in punk/post punk to realllllly convey any emotion besides anger and confrontationalism. his lyrics were sometimes surreal, but always extremly moving, and his voice, undeniable.

leanord cohen-while the other 60's folk rockin icon, bob dylan, mainly focused on the social spectrum and critique, leanord focused on the human condition, writing beautiful songs about longing and despair and love and desire for love. and his voice, that cool, raspy, low snarl that sounds somehow wounded. to me anyhow.

johnny cash-the american recording reveal a cash that has seen it all, hes feeling his age, and he knows his time is almost up, then he made these feelings into songs. thanks john.

al green-i love how al's songs are sometime so conflicted. some are totally sexual, but he is also deeply confused on account of his relgious beliefs, making for a deeply compelling listen.

howlin wolf-the saddest blues man i think.

i only mentioned somereally obvious ones on here, so go ahead and feel free to add many more to these lists.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|