View Single Post
Old 02.11.2008, 12:59 AM   #74
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
This seems weird to me, actually, but...

Mudhoney - went to school in Bellingham with Steve, still friendly if not particularly in touch
Unwound - pretty good friends with everyone except Sarah who I didn't really know. I think Vern is still a My Space friend, though he constantly changes his profile name to stay under the radar, so I'm not even sure.
Fitz of Depression - Vern plays for them now, and Jerry Ziegler their current drummer is a friendly acquaintance.
And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Went to school at Evergreen with Conrad and usually hang out backstage with them when they're here since my wife was his first girlfriend and also played in Trail of Dead herself.
Melvins (via Karp) - Jarrad is a pretty good friend though we haven't talked in a few years. The fact he's playing bass for them now is among the weirdest things to eventually happen of this sort I can think of. All of Karp were pretty good friends and they played at my 30th birthday party. Chris played in the Dead Air Fresheners with me for awhile too.
Nirvana - well I had an ex-girlfriend who'd slept with both Kurt and Dave on separate occasions. My ex-wife was friends with their guitar tech Earnie too and I went to his wedding.
Steve Fisk - pretty good friends, mostly by email, and he's going to be headlining the show I'm putting on at the 14th Annual Olympia Experimental Music Festival
Chris Knox - stayed at my apartment in Oly once, we got on really well
Amy Denio - good friends for years, she's also playing the Oly Fest show I'm currating in June
Crank Sturgeon - good friend, also playing that same show
Bikini Kill - I consider Kathleen a friend though we were never close or anything. She did compliment my band once, and my djing another time.
Calvin Johnson - He'd probably say we're friends. I like him.
Some Velvet Sidewalk - friendly with Al, we still exchange emails a bit
Kramer - contacted me and said he wanted to record and/or produce Dead Air Fresheners, I just don't have the money to pay him fairly at this time.
Lisa "Suckdog" Carver - I made dinner for her when she came through Portland touring her book "Drugs Are Nice". My wife had a pretty close internet friendship with her and appears on the video of the same name.
Sebadoh - perhaps my favorite "connection"; I never met them, but when they were playing in Olympia in the late '90s a crazy chick I knew was the promoter. I had to work at Kinko's that night, so I couldn't go to the show. Apparently, the boys were out of weed and expected their promoter to score for them, and she didn't know anyone that smoked weed besides me. So she called my house and got my (now ex-) wife who proceeded to go out to Evergreen with my weed and smoke out the band (leaving of course none for me!) So though I didn't meet Sebadoh, Lou Barlow still smoke my pot!

Funny thing is, I agree with floatingslowly about name dropping. I just happened to live in some particular times and places where a lot of people got really famous on this certain indie level. I didn't do anything different than somebody who lived somewhere else and went to shows and maybe djed and/or started their own band. If you do those things you make friends.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|