View Single Post
Old 02.05.2008, 06:10 PM   #27
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i dont have to have "met him" to have an opinion on him, do i?

do you have an opinion on george bush? if you answer "yes", i expect to hear about yr personal encounters hanging out with him.

why do you have an opinoin on GWB? because of the things he says? does? decisions he makes?

ian isnt a character like say, steve shelley, whos just sorta behind the scenes and says very little, thus making it kinda hard to have a solid opinion on him. ian is all over the damned place. hes done countless interviews (even if not for rolling stone...big whoop) and have seen numerous live shows where he tends to get really "preachy". i support some of his ideas, but not enough to call him "interesting". hes a very vocal individual, and like ive already said, while agreeing with some of his ideals, i dissagree with even more. it aint even so much that i agree/dissagree as i just find em boring.

and even just judging him on his music, i find it really repetetive for the most part...AKA BORING!

im allowed to have an opinion norma.

It's not that you have an opinion, it's that you find him 'boring'. I find you have to know someone to find them boring, when speaking about their personality. You could think Fugazi are boring because you've got numerous albums to make that decision of, and because it's music - entertainment - art. But if you find Ian boring because you don't agree with his politics, then that's more of a disagreeance than anything, and then you could probably classify many as boring, especially someone like Steve Shelley who 'doesn't say anything'. But then saying nothing can often be intriguing, therefore not boring.

Inconclusion, you can find Ian boring if you want.

But I find him very interest, and in the brief moment of interaction with him that I had, he was far from boring and didn't seem to be boring to anybody else at the venue either.

Ian Mackaye is definitely someone who is shrouded with misconceptions.