View Single Post
Old 01.01.2008, 02:01 PM   #50
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Adorno, being a trained composer, would've HATED punk, and would've found its attempt to be avant-garde to be false. Punk employs some rather convential harmonic structures, which is at odds with the "anti-x" attitude.

You're right in terms of most punk but I was referring explicitely to TG. You might be correct that they too don't qualify as avant-garde as defined by Adorno, but they certainly don't fall into the three chords and you're away school either. And Adorno only really celebrated Schoenberg's atonality because he saw it as irreducible to 'kitsch' which, as Atari has already mentioned, brings Walter Benjamin into the equation, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
there would probably have been no Sex Pistols without (believe it or not) Roxy Music. And of course, there probably wouldn't have been a Roxy Music without The New York Dolls.

I agree totally with the first point, but not the second. Roxy had already released their first album by the time the Dolls had released theirs. I'm sure they would've ended up hearing about them soon after that but certainly they were a functioning band before being exposed to the Dolls.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|