View Single Post
Old 12.30.2007, 06:31 PM   #26
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I was even about to use that word "image" when I was writing that I sort of "got" your meaning.

Oh well, although we now live with that lossy cultural impact, my perception of what they were all about to begin with is unfazed. I can't help it if future generations don't have much of a clue about the history or meaning of the music of the Sex Pistols.

Watch The Filth & The Fury. There is no band more punk. In today's world, it's not even possible. And yet I take constant shit from people every single fucking time I ever mention them.
They are a band that demonstratively protested every chance they got. Of most note, they did this in their dealings with the press, on television (specifically on the "Today" programme), and with an illegal show onboard a boat on the Thames during Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee (which was a huge national holiday celebrating a quarter of a century of the Queen's rule). They came to be so despised by the government that they eventually became more-or-less completely censored. They were banned from the airwaves, their singles and album sales were not reported in the media, all press presented them as the boogeyman, and they were prohibited from playing gigs in cities. Some even report that they were hounded by detectives and government agents, and that conspiracies were hatched to ruin McClaren...you name it.
And let's not forget their lyrics. Two from songs that come to mind right away are the criticism of the British government with lines like "no future" and "the future dream is a shopping scheme." "Corporate," you write? I think not.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|