Thread: amplifiers
View Single Post
Old 11.07.2007, 01:48 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I have a firstact amp, $20, only plays clean. It sucks, there's absolutely nothing good about it. If anyone has any suggestions on something cool I can do with it, lemme know (I don't think you can really, uhm, "circuit bend" an amp or anything, so I dunno -- maybe pour water on it?)

I have a Squire Champ 15 amp, first edition model, which was also $20. It's cool, but it's old, so it only goes up to a certain volume.. it's weird, like.. if you're at volume 6, it stays at the actual volume intended for 4 on the volume scale -- but when you go to volume 7, it goes up to the actual volume intended for if you had the dial at 10. Very good sound, somehow, no matter what you play, you can discern every note, yet the thing is distorted/fuzzy as fuck.

I have a later model of the Champ 15 which has more knobs on it than just treble/gain/volume/bass of the amp I talked about above. It's great, it's probably like 5 pounds, it's loud as fuck, it has the best distortion I've ever heard (Husker Du's vaccuum cleaner distortion meets Big Black's knife-in-the-lawnmower distortion -- no kidding!). I use this if a song needs a quick layer of slanted and/or enchanted fuzz..

I have another amp I forget the name of, but it was $2.50 (I got it with my first guitar, which was also $2.50; yes, some jock kid at school sold me a guitar and an amp for $5 because it didn't work at all; it just needed some wires resoldered and it worked like a gem until I broke the guitar, but the amp still works -- this thing HAS TO be 30 years old). The only knobs on it are volume/tremolo/gain. It honestly sounds like shit and has no practical purpose unless I just have to have the "tremolo" setting turned up for a part in a surf song. Good for layering, I guess..

Finally, I got a Behringer amp that cost me $200. I forget the model number, but.. uhm.. it's got a bunch of switches that will replicate vintage amp sounds and it's got 100 built-in effects with another switch to control the amp of the effect and such. Behringer makes the cheapest and the shoddiest amps around; knobs are constantly falling off of this thing, and I've had to get two of the knobs replaced (two more fell off the other day; I'm not going to get those replaced; keep in mind I take really good care of my amps, this is just from me TURNING THE KNOBS that they broke; ridiculous). Still, it's got a really good sound, perfect for WHATEVER kind of music you want to make, and it's pretty much what I use for all the Robe./Scissor Shock stuff..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|