View Single Post
Old 08.13.2007, 10:13 PM   #141
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
free/freak folk is a loose term of the revival that happened at the start of this decade with acoustic based singer/songwriters and folk enthusiasts who tried to tap into the '60/70's style of the looser, more acid-tinged leaning of the genre (especially from england); sometimes mixed with 90's counter culture sounds (like that of the elephant 6 collective or of singer/songwriters like cat power and bonnie 'prince' billy) or with harder/rougher sounds. bands and artists that have been refered to these tags have been six organs of admittance, devendra banhart, espers, vetiver, lavender diamond and even people like animal collective, sufjan stevens and sunburned hand of the man.

again, just dumb categorization, mostly derivative from the "new weird america" tag.

of course, someone's going to say i'm wrong and that there's 'pure' freak/free folk people and posers. yeah, someone once lost his shit over me because, according to him, it was "free" folk not "freak", i was making shit up in his mind.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|