View Single Post
Old 08.06.2007, 01:39 PM   #65
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePits
Unfortunately for a few years now with the manufactured pop ethos prevailing in the record companies, talented musicians have consistently fallen by the wayside

I worked a few of the original Spice Girls shows years ago, two of them can sing, the rest couldnt hit a note with a hammer

The Spice Girls were shit mind you.

To be honest, I look at MTV or whatever pop channel on TV, and I listen to 'commercial' radio/ radio 1/ radio 2 and I hear a hell of a lot of bands who, ostensibly, play, sing and write their own music. I don't like the glut of it, but aren't the Kooks, Razorlight, The Strokes, The White Stripes, RHCP, James Blunt, KT Tunstall, Jaime Cullum, Lily Allen, The Cribs, The Libertines (and whatever side-projects they have now) and a fair few others I've clearly forgotten all, to some extent, 'talented musicians'?

From another perspective - I know absolutely bloody loads of 'talented musicians', some of whom have written alright songs, none of whom have written songs as brilliant as Girls Aloud, the Sugababes or Paris Hilton's Stars are Blind and, furthermore, are entirely unlikely to. Commercial, pre-fab pop at its worst is some of the most asinine, pointless fodder imaginable, but at its best can produce some unspeakable brilliance. In the last year I've heard so many more brilliant songs from the pre-fab, commercial side of things than I have from 'talented' musicians.

As a caveat for this, I'm drawing a distinction between anything which is song-based and what might be called art-music (in the sense of 'classical' music being more rightly known as art-music). These are, in essence, lines in the sand, but it's my sand and my lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|