View Single Post
Old 08.06.2007, 01:22 AM   #26
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
No I was just saying that that scene spawned very talentless bands, who just wanted to mimick their sounds, and had nothing valuable to add to it. I feel that is what most noise bands are, that is why I kind of back off from them.

This might be a little Chicken - Egg logic here. Perhaps you "feel that is what most noise bands are" because you "kind of back off from them."

Mind, there are plenty of shit noise bands out there, but I'd argue no more per capita than in any other genre of music. "Noise" is one of those generic critic terms that gets applied to a whole lot of different sounds coming from a whole lot of different approaches. There are some huge cliches to the "genre" just as there are to "indie rock", "electronica", or whatever the fuck, but there are also people who actively work against those cliches who still get lumped in for lack of a better term. It would be a shame if you missed out on the innovators based upon the crimes of the sheep.

In the past six months, I've been exposed to a lot more noise artists than I'd intentionally sought out, largely because I went to see Crank Sturgeon at a house party that featured lots of other people, and because of the Oly Experimental Music Festival (which had it's share, though lots of other stuff too.) I had kind of the same bias you display going in, and coming out, although there were some boring nob-twiddlers here and there, I saw lots of people doing interesting audio experiments with a surprising sense of freedom - and the best didn't sound anything like each other. And honestly, none of them were ripping off the Contortions or Teenage Jesus in the slightest.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|