View Single Post
Old 12.28.2006, 04:21 PM   #96
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
WOW - The Instigator who has done a wonderful job on other threads of explaining how / why there is no God or Higher Power does an superb job on explaining why he feels the Beatles are the God / Higher Power of the music world.

When you consider it was the Beatles who said, "We're more popular than Jesus" (acknowledging there is a Jesus / Higher Power) and a large part of their music was directly influenced by their search for a Higher Power......and it was this music that saved Rob's life at age 12......where did the circle become unbroken / what did thier music save your life from?

When lennon said the "Beatles are bigger than Jesus" he meant that the kids loved them and found more meaning with the Beatles (at the time of his statement) than with Jesus or the church's teachings. With that taken into account the statement is in no way an acknowledgement that jesus is the divine incarnation of the one true god.

the beatles saved me from a life of tedium and despair. Around age 12 I really began to cement my general ideas about the universe and about the whole of sprituality and religion and the ideas of humanity's worship of "supernatural" beings throughout our teeny tiny brief existance on the planet earth (around one million years as oppossed to the 5-6 BILLION year age of the Earth) I found more, as lennon said, in music and art, and in the beatles music in particular, when I was 12 than in anything the religions had to offer. They brought me comfort, for the realization that there is no god/gods and that we are truly but one tiny aspect of an inconceivably stupendously large universe is a fucking scary, humbling, and chilling one. they gave me hope that despite the absence of any higher being/creator/gods/soul/etc. there was something sublime in the world, something that could bring about trhe feelings of ecstasy and epiphany that many associate with religious occasions. Sonic Youth did that for me as well at age 16 or so. They both opened up a new world for me, a world that to me was life-affirming and joy-providing.

and to think it was just four dudes from a crumbling wharf town who loved little richard and elvis and chuck berry.

SONIC LIFE!