View Single Post
Old 12.27.2006, 03:47 PM   #51
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I think "Rain" is a pretty fine tune as well, now that I think of it.
I don't like their so-called "psychedelic" phase though (because tubas and string sections don't really say "psychedelic" to me), which is odd because lord knows I love me some psychedelia.
I like the sort of inbetween phase where they still sounded like a 4-piece rock band, but were moving into more interesting territory. Most of the later stuff just sounds overproduced to me.

Thanks for sketching out a little bit about why you have the opinions that you do. If someone is going to air their criticism of The Beatles, then they should be respectful about it just like you are in this last post.

When one reads between the lines of what you just wrote, however, a more definitive light is shed on your opinions and I will address that now.
I knew that your position originated precisely in the gauging of what is considred good "psychedelic" music. I knew that you felt that the garage rock, early Krautrock, and other psychedelia of the '60s by more marginal bands is better music than a lot of The Beatles and that this was the wellspring of your agenda. This position does not even warrant a reply because it's so easily identifiable as simply a misguded notion by someone that just wants to try and be different. The art of much of the Beatles' recorded output outshines all of that collected crud put together. One doesn't have to be brainwashed into believing in sacred cows to know this, but it certainly does take a fool to readily not know this is true.

I can say though that I (too) am not totally in love with everything they ever recorded. While I do like "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da," I am not the biggest fan of "Hey Jude" myself either. The thing is though, as you get into naming ones you like, and other songs you do not, you immediately open the door to the felt weights and measures of their entire body of their work, so to speak; and when you open that door, that's when your true motives to intentionally disparage The Beatles are revealed.
Because, you see, even some of the crappiest Beatles tunes are so much better than a preponderance of the garbage that people here like. I include what I have read of Savage Clone's musical tastes in the assessment.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|