View Single Post
Old 08.18.2006, 05:55 PM   #95
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
it's spelt sitar. close, but no cigar, my man.

i also have no zeppelin. i don't care to really.. i like 'em and all...just nothing i feel i want/need to get.

It's not a sitar on Black Mountain Side. Page liked to use open C quite a bit (CGCGCE), but it's in DADGAD.

---

In the middle of the studio version of this song, Page overdubed a rapid guitar lick that is meant to simulate a sitar. (thanks, Adrian - Wilmington, DE)

This is based on a traditional folk song called "Blackwater Side." The most popular version of "Blackwater Side" was recorded by Bert Jansch, but a folk singer named Anne Briggs also did a version. She was a big influence on Led Zeppelin and on many British singers, but she stopped recording when she was 27 and never became famous. On this album, Zeppelin also recorded her song, "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You."

White Summer is an almost note for note thieving rip off of Davey Graham's DADGAD classic 'She Moved Through the Fair' (DADGAD is not 'celtic' tuning but is Davey Graham's own tuning developed to play with North African Oud players) Black Mountainside is not a tweaked White Summer - it is an almost note for note thieving rip off of Black Waterside by Bert Jansch - its in DADGAD but Bert plays it in dropped D.
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=307
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|