View Single Post
Old 03.08.2020, 08:44 PM   #24468
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Rewatched Escape From New York. It's been ages since I'd last seen it. What had impressed me the most upon rewatching it is how much atmosphere was created with so little. I mean, they created a (for the most part) convincing depiction of NYC streets and buildings in St. Louis, using derelict buildings, cleverly crafted models, juxtapositions and whatnot.

What also struck me is just how dark and grimey it was shot, the sales-pitch must've been an actual risk at the time. I mean, I was aware it was, but I underestimated the scope. Russel spends a lot of his screen-time roaming dingy places, his face often entirely covered by thick shadows. Something you'd be hard-pressed to find in movies these days, as there seems to be an obsession with images that are clearer than clear and sharper than sharp. In terms of atmosphere it is a bona-fide masterpiece.

I have to admit though that the rough-around the edges approach doesn't just apply to its visual style. Plot-wise it's all over the place from time to time and there are a few real headscratchers in there. But damn, it's impressive what Carpenter was able to craft atmospherically with what little he had at the time.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|