View Single Post
Old 12.06.2018, 10:39 AM   #423
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the elitist attitude is central to the art world unfortunately. art is usually made by outsiders who after being marginalized by society have no better idea than to create exclusionary circles off their own marginalization.

then come the students, and the aspirational middle classes, and the rich patrons, to signal their aesthetic virtue to the rest of the herd by participation in these circles, and kurt eats lead pellets.

the anthropological question for me is—do the elitists enjoy art for whatever they find in the art itself? or is it more for the ego gratification of thinking they are one of the special few with access to the secret society of esoteric knowledge? i think probably both, but there are also a lot of people for which it’s mostly the second—the precious precious posers.

either way, humans are insufferable apes. can’t way till they’re all extinct.

That's actually a lovely assessment. It sorta blows my mind just how superficial nearly everything about society is.

Like you could say, "Yes, this painting is absurdly photo-realistic." That painter would truly be validated by the perfection of their craft, and objectively a better artist than most, but where is the emotion in a realist landscape, yknow?

On the other hand, someone like Captain Beefheart farts into a tin can and everyone gathers around to sniff it, inflating their ego by getting high off his butt fumes. Is it because they're able to appreciate something which others are not? Does the same feeling apply to guilty pleasures? Are all art fans just failed intellectuals, or are they onto something more? What matters most, objectivity or subjectivity? Fact or emotion? Black/white or shades of grey? Emotion or logic? Yin or yang?

Does any artist truly not do it for the money? Aren't all advertisers failed artists, and all artists wishing to make it big?

I just don't get it lol. Consider me a philistine also, I guess.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|