View Single Post
Old 09.04.2017, 09:47 AM   #169
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
but the issue that arose with hw is that their sound and approach was so distinctive to the point where it's abundantly clear they're not involved any longer -- as you say hype was about complete sensory overload in every sense, their mid-period songs were masticated samples and their approach was completely shrouded in pot fug but somewhere along the line it emerged as a songwriterly identifier which is appreciable in both blunt's work and perhaps more so in lolina, their evasion of identity in itself was a very strong one informed by the instincts of the two and it's abundantly clear when they're absent which undermines the whole vision slightly. like 10/10 is very clearly blunt (sounds identical to uk2uk) but it seems as if he consciously left a chasm that copeland would've filled which in itself is a concession to the fact that hype was the product of two very strong musical personalities.

I agree with this, except that I'm not even sure it's abundantly clear they're no longer involved. Honestly, for all we know they could have made this project and said they didn't make it, and invented some alter ego names to attach to it, and deliberately made a product that sounds different enough that it's believable. Seriously. And yes, I think the fact that that's even being wondered about undermines the project a bit, and makes it in fact less about the music and more, in a circuitous way, about who made it.

Fox is right that it's cool to have a project that exists entirely on its own, but this isn't that project, because of all the sensory and information overload stuff behind the name from the start. For me, it diminishes the impact a bit, whereas a clearer picture of what was happening would lend itself to the project standing in its own.

I do think Rainbow Edition is a strong album. I'm glad I gave it a listen, and I'm listening to it more and more. But the fake outs and the blurred lines and the constant, deliberate WTF-nesss of the whole thing make it harder to not think about the artists. Counter productive, if the point is to make art that exists only as the art that it is in that moment.

Good album though. I mean, I'm really enjoying it. Maybe that means I'm right smack dab at the center of a huge joke. Don't care. Like it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|