View Single Post
Old 02.04.2016, 11:14 AM   #257
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
There are no "more overt sonic pioneers" than the Beatles. You can hear their influence everywhere, from Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd to Nirvana to Spoon to Vampire Weekend, across genres (the Grey Album ushered in the modern mixtape generation; DJ Koze used Sgt. Pepper's as an inspiration and blueprint for his opus Amygdala) and generations.

No offense man, but here's the truth of it: if you "can't hear" their influence, you're deaf.
Zeppelin is influenced by pure blues, i don't hear any Beatles in it. Not only were Floyd also clearly influenced by blues and soul, they clearly pioneered their OWN sound. Indeed be more specific. What chord structures, melody patterns, song patterns did Beatles TRULY innovate that other bands weren't already doing? Provide specific examples because frankly I'm not sure you can.

I am well aware that i am expressing an almost sacrilegious opinion BUT i honestly think people don't understand what "influence" means in the context of music theory.

I also mean NO DISRESPECT to the Beatles, i again mentioned i DO believe they are one of the most influential bands of all time HOWEVER as i said, i believe their influence is not in regards to the actual music but rather in influencing and inspiring other musicians to experiment and development their OWN original sounds and theories.

Do you play music? I been playing guitar for 15 years now.. i can "hear" as well as "add up (according to theory) the direct influence of a lot of bands, i just honestly don't hear it in Beatles music.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|