View Single Post
Old 12.04.2015, 04:10 PM   #1758
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I def enjoy Summertime 06 more than TPAB.

I think it's a better hip-hop album, even if TPAB is a better album-album. That probably makes very little sense, but it's kinda where I'm at with the whole thing. TPAB is not the kind of album you put on when you want to bob your head and sing along. Likewise, Summertime '06 isn't really a genre bender or game changer. It's just an explosive album from the year's most formidable new voice in hip-hop.

Kendrick is already transcending the hip hop genre, much like Kanye did with Late Registration. But while LR was kind of like hip-hop's answer to George Martin and Rubber Soul-era Beatles, TPAB is more like hip-hop's Electric Ladyland. Both are destined to be classics in a more general way. Summertime '06 is hip-hop through and through, and it's excellent.

I gotta say I've not listened to At.Long.Last.A$AP in quite a while. For a while it was my pick, but time has just exposed its weaknesses to me. It's like half as good as Long.Live. Which is a bummer.

Lots of disappointments this year actually. I can't tell if it's the immediately disposable nature of our current collective ADD approach to music, or if it's because some of these highly anticipated albums just weren't as good as we wanted them to be. But it's aggravating, and I want Kanye to drop a joint and get shit back on track.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|