View Single Post
Old 06.17.2015, 09:13 PM   #1036
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
"I had a dream I can buy my way to heaven
When I awoke, I spent that on a necklace.
I told God I'd be back in a second,
Man it's so hard not to act reckless.

To whom much is given much is tested.
Get arrested, guess until they get the message.

I feel the pressure, under more scrutiny,
and what I do? Act more stupidly, bought more jewelry, more Louis V, my momma couldn't get through to me.

The drama, people suing me,
I'm on T.V. talking like it's just you and me.

I'm just saying how I feel man,
I ain't one of the Cosby's I ain't go to Hill man
I guess the money should've changed him,
I guess I should've forgot where I came from.
"

-- "Can't Tell Me Nothin"

What's bothering me here is that you really don't know much about this man's work, and yet you're taking such a firm stance against it.

You tell me to name "one solid non-repugnant track" but I already have. I've pointed to specific songs, and entire albums, and you still can't be bothered to look any further.

The overwhelming message of College Dropout, Late Registration and (especially) Graduation is one of hope and positivity. All of his albums are extremely thoughtful, but those first three have literally none of the "repugnant" stuff you object to.

808's & Heartbreak is not positive, but it's sincere and heartfelt, and a brave demonstration of emotion. As is MBDTF, though if borders on the apocalyptic. And Yeezus is like a primal scream. Yes, lots of bad words, but also some of the most emotionally raw, resonant tracks that I've ever heard on a hip-hop album.

Honestly, I know "On Sight" is vulgar. So is "I'm in it", but really, those songs are outliers. I don't know how else to say it. You won't understand until you actually listen. I wish you would.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|