Thread: The Godz
View Single Post
Old 07.24.2006, 12:54 PM   #7
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
This made smile:

hecklerspray
Jan 11, 2005
CD [Rating1448143]
This is quite possibly the most inept record I've ever heard, which has gotta be worth something. Yeah, you thought you were pretty cool gettin' drunk with your high school buddies, and playing your three-string acoustic while warbling improv lyrics and tunes into your cheezy tape recorder. Well I'm here to tell ya that the Godz did it first! I remember one of my friends recording a song called "Coughing Song" where he proceeded to hack and wheeze in a most annoying fashion while occasionally plucking his guitar. I'm surprised that's not here. Instead, we have a song called "White Cat Heat" where the band does the best impression of sexed-up kitties I've ever heard (this lasts 2 minutes and 11 seconds). Then there is a song called "Turn On", the lyrics of which are "Turn On/Oh Turn On" (4:19). After that, there is the vaguely Eastern sounding "Na Na Naa", where the singer warbles "Na Na Naa" over and over again (2:57). You get the idea. The sleeve tells me the Godz were part of the same scene which produced the Fugs and the Holy Modal Rounders, but they are nowhere near the wonderful craziness of those bands, and the sleeve also says the Godz sound "like a prototype for Half Japanese or the Shaggs", but they have none of the purposeful/accidental charm of either of those artists. On the plus side, there is a quite listenable cover of Hank Williams' "May You Never Be Alone Like Me" closing out the album. All told, this entire record is only 25 minutes long. See if you can make it to the end.

Rated:

torn_curtain
Dec 13, 2004
Vinyl [Rating632149]

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|