View Single Post
Old 06.01.2012, 08:34 AM   #47
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Well in all fairness, almost any musical movement over the past 30 years worth mentioning, Sonic Youth were involved in one way or another. They've always been cool about promoting anything they find interesting...whether it be Lydia, Government Issue, Nirvana, or Wolf Eyes.

That's not what he is talking shout. He's talking about the kind of suoerficial insecurity experienced by people who want to be part of some perceives musical "iin" crowd. A desire to "like" only artists that are pr-approved by the scene.

It's a common enough practice, and a phase many for through, but I think most SYG users outgrew that behavior in adolescence, and I see no evidence to support categorizing SYG users like that. Like I said, we are, for the most part, adults. Assuming we like what we like only because we think we should is pretty goddamn insulting.

I don't think the issue has much to do with what you're talking about, but of course you're right. Bands do indeed hype other bands, but Genteel is referring to people who decide what they like and dislike based on their perception of the rules and mores of the scene they want to be asaociated with.

I just don't see a lot of that kind of behavior here, and I see it as an inaccurate generalization.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|