View Single Post
Old 08.03.2011, 08:23 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
I agree, but they still stand as the most musically significant nu-metal group, you can't deny that.

I am NOT A FAN, but listen to "Be Quiet and Drive"... it's a simple song in dropped-D tuning, but it could pass for an s/t era Foo Fighters song. It's just got that grinding, driving quality to it. It's actually always reminded me of a Pearl Jam song, to be completely honest.... guess which one. Heh.

great tune, actually the first deftones song I ever heard and it captivated me into their scene for life it seems..

by the way, even though I play it in a drop-D tuning for the six string, Stephen Carpenter of the deftones actually writes and plays all his tunes on a 7 string baritone guitar, so they are not open tunings at all, but the more complicated double chords (with fills included!!) which surprisingly makes his guitar playing a bit more precise,skilled, and even sometimes virtuoso than it otherwise sounds and is simplified in the 6 string. But the 7 string allows him to get several lower octaves with consistent sound quality and also have a heavier crunch without losing the integrity of the sound to the feedback. his signature style with the double chords (or the open chords if you drop tune it) is that "wall of chord" sound that typifies the first three deftones albums, but when chino started playing guitar he brought a different vibe and also got more trip-hop about things since White Pony and it pops up everywhere, including making Frank a full fledged member of the band rather than their secret but always there DJ.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|