View Single Post
Old 06.02.2011, 06:44 AM   #26
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
I disagree with this. If you go to shows, then you support the music industry in a more direct way financially than you would buying a record.

Most bands get paid shit by venues too....... I guess if you're going and buying a t-shirt or whatever that helps them out directly but unless you live in a major city do you get to see all the bands you really like? Either way the bands are still working really hard to release an album and the what you're saying is "oh I can see them live so I have no issues stealing this"? I dunno man....... that's not exactly a valid justification in my mind..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
because art-rock fringe bands have always existed, and they always had to work day jobs and use their vacation time for touring. It's just the life and people dig it.

A) Just because it's always been that way doesn't mean the status quo is the way it should be. This isn't 1984 with Black Flag booking 6 month tours with a pay phone.

B) I don't think people actually do this scenario out of choice...... I've got two brothers who are aspiring or semi pro musicians, incredibly talented and both work in retail to pay their rent and do their main interest, music, on evenings and weekends because they aren't able to support themselves through music - and one of my brothers plays in a very successful band and 2 other moderately successful bands who gig all the time, have records out and actually tour frequently. None of this has even netted close to equating into a rent check at the end of the month. My other brother is more in Glice's situation and spends his time doing soundtrack work and other commercial stuff he has no interest in and still doesn't make that much money........ trust me they don't like doing this and neither do any of my other friends working shit jobs and relegating their band to a money losing hobby........ I mean shit, look at Aidan Baker - motherfucker makes so many awesome solo/Nadja records, records all the time, plays live constantly and still gets the royal shaft when it comes to getting paid, so much so that he moved to Berlin to pursue his career since any "hip" city in North America is so fucking cynical about music........
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|