Thread: Teenage Riot
View Single Post
Old 02.01.2011, 01:28 PM   #51
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
The thing that we're sort of avoiding is the ideology of the rockist; as soon as he admits that indirectly-affected instruments are musically valid, his giving precedence to rock music has to incorporate a more sophisticated aesthetic; essentially, his aesthetic as it stands is a pillar of salt and re-affirming that ideology is the only (delusional) way of maintaining some spurious sense of 'musicianly' superiority.

What happens if someone who reads music (me, fugazifan) says that a 'real' musician has to be able to read? That makes us* wankers, right? But it's the same structure of argument - spurious half-baked notions of (doubly) reified 'quality' which ignore the subtle dynamics and contours of aesthetics as they are diffused through social interactions.

*Edit: to be clear, it only makes me a wanker for being the one who says it, unless Herr fan chooses to repeat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|