Thread: Teenage Riot
View Single Post
Old 02.01.2011, 12:48 PM   #47
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Now to answer the original thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
At the university campus where I work, there are pockets of student protest groups that've managed to comandeer their own little meeting rooms, with stereos and the like. I catch what they're listening to and it's always either dubstep or reggae or the odd bit of hip hop. I don't think I've ever heard a rock record once. Contrast that with stories of US troops whizzing around the middle east in tanks, blarring out Pantera and Neil Young CDs. So does Rock have even the slightest relevance to young rebellious teenagers anymore?

I believe this is linked to the fact that nowadays - obviously this has been the case for quite a while now -, rock music and the whole rock culture (philosophies, clothes, etc) are being diffused massively by basically any kind of media in the world - obviously not ALL kinds of rock music and rock culture but only a limited fringe of it, which is still presented as representative of rock as it is (though it quite isn't) -, are accepted as normal by the people who govern your country (as Glice pointed out, Cameron is a Smiths fan, for instance), etc. And you cannot associate something with rebellion if the system you are trying to fight against (I know what I am saying is very, very cliché, but hey) is precisely promoting it. You want something that seemingly differs from what this system is promoting (I say seemingly because in the end, I don't really think that most reggae or hip hop really propose a really rebellious message anymore - I might be wrong - ; dubstep, as a mostly instrumental music, does not even really contain a real message - and though the way it has seemingly grown up from its roots in the London underground to the international mainstream only by itself, with little to no help from the media, might be seen as rebellious, I doubt it really is -). I'm not sure what I'm saying has much sense, but it has in my head ahah.

(and obviously I'm not trying to say one form of music is better than another. I'm just trying to find reasons why rock would not be considered as rebellious anymore while reggae would)
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|