Thread: Teenage Riot
View Single Post
Old 02.01.2011, 12:33 PM   #46
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
hevusa, your logic is faulty because is too centered around a set of values that somehow consider that musicians only play real instruments (I will not attach them to any style of music, though I think, from my own personal experience, that this attitude is most common within rock music fans especially - not jazz or classical, or any other style based on acoustic/electric instruments). Unfortunately you're too attached to those values to even be able to think outside of them and to realize that fundamentally, your definition is biased, no matter how many people point out why you're wrong (I don't actually think I will change your point of view).
Just read any definition of "musician", anywhere. I'll take the most basic you can find on wikipedia : "A musician is a person who writes, performs, or makes music". That is all. Any person who picks up a random item, bangs on it and asserts it's a musical piece is a musician. As Glice said, this does not make you a good musician. A distinction has to be made. Just like "Art" does not instantly mean "masterpiece". You need to get rid of your prejudices to realise that just as an electric guitar is just as real as a clarinet, a sampler or a mixer or a turntable is just as real as an electric guitar. Because there's no such thing as "realness", or "real musical instrument". A musical instrument is, by definition, a tool (cause really, an instrument is a tool) that is used to produce music. There is no mention of any "you need to be able to produce music when the power goes out" or "you need to be able to play acoustic instruments". That is all. But you are blinded by your values and therefore not able to see it (and sadly, you probably will not even try to think outside those values and try and understand what everyone is telling you)
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|