View Single Post
Old 01.27.2011, 03:20 AM   #189
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
Thanks for the response, I appreciate your insight. As a studio guy it is cool to think about the challenges of live audio with conditions like wind and temperature affecting things (not to mention time compensation between speaker sets). Just to be clear I literally put a sentence of your post in bold in my reply. I know it was easy to miss.

At current sample rates the frequencies below 20Hz and above 20K are going to be represented equally in both digital and analog recordings... only the digital recording won't have any friction noise that is inherent in analog (both during recording and on playback). The surface noise does give things a sense of "warmth" I guess and a little tape compression never hurt either. But sorry "mate", you must be one of those blokes above 40 years old. You clearly know your shit but you older guys tend to hang on to analog a little more.

Professional analog recording won't exist in 20 years (probably sooner).

No I'm not above 40 but close. PA time alignment is kids stuff, it is the frequency alignment that is the difficult stuff when working with line arrays.

I work on digital consoles more than analogue ones but none of them sound as good as the good analogue boards and this is still shown in the price difference. The digital consoles can save a lot of time when touring though and does minimize the amount of outboard gear you need but can also be a lot slower if and when any problems arise.

To be honest, studio bores the crap out of me, you can't do multiple takes live and if you fuck up when mixing a show for a few thousand people you will know about from the punters very very quickly. Also a lot of the time you only get a few minutes to get the mix right rather than a few days or weeks in the studio.

As well as the fact that studio has next to no touring options and you are stuck in a little room a lot of the time.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|