View Single Post
Old 11.24.2010, 07:50 AM   #5548
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
What is that Dubbers vol. 2 album?

...also, NIEMI, you have the best tastes on this board, man. I absolutely love skull defekts.

Anywho, I bought hecq - Bad Karma, which is just unreal techno, kinda IDM-y but without being annoying (in other words, it's not throwing as many different sounds at you at 10,000bpm) -- there is a lot of careful editing and attention to space and stuff... synths rise in, strange sounds fade out/reverberate for many seconds, etc... drums are of the Autechre variety, headscratchingly brilliant. Such a carefully produced album, it's truly brilliant. Bought it for a few bucks on a complete whim and am very happy with it... if you're into electronic music, especially more of the Autechre/3tronik/10-20 variety, check it out, it's a lot better than most IDM.

Also, bought

PINK FLAG, my favorite "punk" album of all time. I've worn out 3 (!) burnt copies of this -- I bet I listened to it a million times my high school senior year. So, I finally bought it... god, it's so good. Been such a huge inspiration on me.... I can't even describe what makes it so good. If you've heard it, you know I guess. Or maybe not. The songs are deceptively "simple", there is actually a complexity to it that isn't apparent unless you really pay attention. The "rules" of "punk" -- power chords, short songs -- are a means to no end, in this case, in a way not many other bands have ever incorporated (Swell Maps, Minutemen, Hot Snakes, Rudimentary Peni, early The Fall, Crass, and maybe some early Wipers being some of the few other exceptions) -- also, the guitar tones are lethal, the production is dry and dark, almost like Spiderland in a way.

Just a perfect album -- ADDICTIVE. You just never know where this album is going, really; it starts out in such a confounding, non-obvious way; one chord for a while just drilling into your ears... when it gets to the disturbing "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE" chant, you'll probably be confused.. and perhaps hooked. Strangely. Then it follows up with a punk song with about 5 changes and 15 stops in 27 seconds. Then, it kinda just goes back and forth between some of the strangest "punk" songs ever written, and some really dark anthems (the "dark anthems" being something they would explore, and take to their limit, on the next two albums -- but they would use synths, lots of effects, and studio trickery... in order to do so; here, they keep the experimentation to a minimum and just let the power of awesome songwriting lead the way)... until about track 15 when they start playing "pop" songs!

Truly a magnificant album. The title track... "Champions"... "1 2 X U"... "Reuters"... "Fragile".... jesus. Doesn't get much better than this.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|