View Single Post
Old 11.09.2010, 12:52 PM   #28
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Swans are probably my favorite band right now, most of their albums are brilliant. Their discography isn't that big, but very varied.

The albums Filth up to Holy Money are brutal and heavy as fuck. Not a good entry point for most people, these records aren't accessible at all and might take quite some time and patience before they click.

Children of God is a masterpiece and a good place to start. Perfect mixture of their early, heavy sound and songs that are both quiet, haunting and beautiful.

The Burning World - White Light in the Mouth of Infinity - Love of Life are semi-folkish and not as heavy at all. White Light is great, and a pretty good starting point. The other two are probably the weakest albums they've done, in my opinion (TBW have great songs, but the production is horrible).

The Great Annihilator is great as well, and could be the easiest album to get into, especially for people listening to SY and the likes.

Finally, Soundtracks for the Blind, which is brilliant. With noise and ambient pieces, Glenn Branca-esque epics, tape recordings, a couple of live tracks and more it's not among their most accessible work. But it's so good!

...oh, and My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope to the Sky is great as well. Pretty accessible, though I wouldn't recommend anyone to start with it.
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|