View Single Post
Old 10.10.2010, 06:44 AM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
^^^ THis guy's right on. Magic Band, Cooder, Fahey.. pretty much all american primitive guitar guys do slide songs...

I love slide, play a lot of it on a few ss albums, kinda felt very limited by its sound in a sense, but I like limitations. It basically makes one sound but it makes one really really cool sound (see also: theremins). I like the idea that "slide guitar" is the only instrument besides trombone and the human voice and the keyboard in the right setting, that can play, y'know, PORTAMENTO-LY, haha. In other words, you can hear the notes between the notes... you can hear sliding from note to note... that's neat. Anyway, slide's fun and easy to get cool sounds out of it, unless you combine it with finger picking which I've always found challenging (Fahey's a good one to study since his technique wasn't very complicated and he got some of the greatest melodies/songs of all time out of 3 fingers.. if you want to study a RIDICULOUS guitar player, check out Lenny Breu, who uses ALL 10 FINGERS AT ALL TIMES.. just absurd)

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|