View Single Post
Old 08.20.2010, 06:04 AM   #55
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
As far as "notable" figures are concerned:

The Allman Brothers
Little Richard
2 of the guys from R.E.M.
James Brown (while actually from Augusta) more or less got his start here.

***It's rumoured Jimi Hendrix first started playing guitar here (read liner notes to that "Blues" record) during that "missing period" of his younger life when he ran away with his mom. Probably some truth to it, being that he later ended up touring with Little Richard before the Experience took shape. Who knows...

Macon was ahead of the game for several years (late 50's - mid 70's)...then kinda fell into a slump w/ all the Allman brothers/southern rock copycat/purist bands you could ever wanna shake a stick at.

While never really lacking in activity, things tend to happen here a bit late. ONly "punk" band I know of to come out of Macon during punk's heyday is a band called VEX. Punk was still a very popular concept around here until maybe a few years ago. Everything from a couple Ramones/bubblegum punk outfits, to GBH sorts (the City Babies....they never really went anywhere but were still cool).

Now things are getting a bit weirder/noisier (haha...like 2 years after Cen.Quo.Akt called it quits....my old noise band). A little bookstore (the Golden Bough) hosts shows w/ tons of out-of-town acts. Eric, the owner, has a knack for "weird" music, and refuses to allow tribute/cover bands to play the store...which helped this city out a lot in the way of being able to see original music (as well as feeling comfortable approaching it).

I'll post some vids later of some stuff I dig currently coming out of the area...but in the meantime...it's time for me to clock out/go home.