Thread: DJs
View Single Post
Old 08.12.2010, 05:35 PM   #7
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
I am a DJ: I play records.
I am a pianist: I press keys.

And I actually really am a pianist. But to reduce a DJ to simply someone who plays records is a bit easy. Sure, some DJ sets may be this. But a good DJ will reflect his own musical personality while DJing, with the selection of the tracks, the way he arranges them (cause playing a certain track after a certain other may change the perspective on that track, give it a new vision, etc), the way he tweaks them using effects, samples, etc, the way he fades them into each other. There are good and bad DJs, fun DJs and complex DJs, DJs that make you want to dance and DJs that make you want to sit down and chill out, DJs that make you think, etc. In the end a DJ can express just as many emotions as a live musician can do. Sure, you don't get the visual aspect of the musician actually playing what you're hearing in front of your eyes, but that's not the point. The point if having fun / dancing / feeling melancholic / losing yourself into the complex rhythms / chilling out / whatever the DJ wants to achieve with his set.
I used to think DJ Sets were necessarily boring, but after having seen many of them I can appreciate them just as much as I appreciate a live show. They're a whole different experience, but they can give you the same feelings.
Besides, working out a great transition can be just as difficult, if not more, as playing a guitar riff.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|