Thread: Loudness wars
View Single Post
Old 07.29.2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
fucking seriously! I haven't been too happy with a lot of production in years.
I blame three elements:

1) digitalization and protools: Digital is great for remastering, but recording needs to remain on tape, it both expands and yet limits the process, creating cleaner sound with less add-ons. Recording straight to digital I believe was the beginning of the end for contemporary music

2) recording each party individually: Now people make albums having never even met! And not just someone coming into the studio later for some overdubs, no, shit, they are recording albums in several studios and sending the tracks to places to get mastered together.. it makes sterile, boring records. I miss Steve Albini recordings, fuck it all live in the studio.

3) the over-marketing/commercialization of music:
simply put, there are WAY to many records out there. complete and utter oversaturation.. It is just overwhelming, and it is no wonder that so much tripe and bullshit makes it out there. It is watering down the quality.

1) Digital in itself really isn't the problem. It's up to the people making the record. For the majority of bands, digital is more convenient and easier for editing. I've no real preference either way, but I would say that for the overwhelming majority of bands, digital makes more sense just because it's more economical and (generally) quicker.

2) Separated recording is nothing new; I'd be surprised if more than 70% of your (or anyone else's) record collection didn't feature a lot of this - it's pretty much endemic from around the mid-60s onwards. I tend to think that Albini likes to label himself as an 'engineer' because he doesn't want to take responsibility for the fact that his records more often than not sound like a pile of shit.

3) Meh. I'm not going to complain about having more choice than ever in the record market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|