Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sonic Youth is such a fantastic band (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40974)

_slavo_ 08.15.2010 09:08 AM

Sonic Youth is such a fantastic band

God, this is going to be the cheesiest thing ever, but I've spent the past 2 hours browsing on YouTube and watching Sonic Youth official as well as live videos ... and I once again I realized how great this band is and how important it has been for me in the past 10 years or so. I mean, fuck the last 2 albums, but there never was, is or will be a band capable of creating such compressed magic as they did in their music.
I love Sonic Youth.

lucyrulesok 08.15.2010 09:24 AM

Cute

SONIC GAIL 08.15.2010 09:30 AM

Not cheesy at alll. They amaze me daily and will always be my favorite. They have helped me through a lot of hard times. I owe them a lot for that

SYRFox 08.15.2010 11:59 AM

Indeed. I always feel the same when I stop listening to them for a little time and then listen to them again and am always blown away. They're fantastic.

chicka 08.15.2010 12:08 PM

Best there ever was best there ever will be

hevusa 08.15.2010 12:10 PM

fap fap fap

shabbray2.0 08.15.2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
God, this is going to be the cheesiest thing ever, but I've spent the past 2 hours browsing on YouTube and watching Sonic Youth official as well as live videos ... and I once again I realized how great this band is and how important it has been for me in the past 10 years or so. I mean, fuck the last 2 albums, but there never was, is or will be a band capable of creating such compressed magic as they did in their music.
I love Sonic Youth.

you speak from the bottom of my heart.
there are these moments where you realize exactly this.
same for me. from time to time when jumping from one song (or album) to another, I caught myself everytime to be fully blown away. often by different things then the last time.

I love Sonic Youth too!

atsonicpark 08.15.2010 04:47 PM

I remember in high school I spent every study hall period and many lunch periods just reading all the mustang site, listening to them, posting on here, etc... I have a whole dresser that is nothing but cut out pictures of them and their name, taped up... they're a great band... they've really made so many wonderful albums; it's crazy to think the same band who made scary, noisey, violent, sexy Confusion is Sex made the beautiful guitar epic Murray Street (possibly the best "epic clean guitar interplay" album since Marquee Moon, imo).. just so many amazing songs... I dunno.

Count Mecha 08.16.2010 03:44 AM

I don't listen to Sonic Youth nowhere near as much as I used to in the past and maybe some day I'll stop listening to them completely. But I think they'll no matter what always be one of my favorites. I think they were the perfect first band to really get into for me. Sure before then I'd been aware and enjoyed certain radio accessible bands like Led Zeppelin or the Who.

But then to hear this band that jammed screwdrivers under their strings and played these really weird chord progressions and at times just made really vibrant noise at the very least excited me a whole lot. The music was dark, thunderous, dissonant, and also extremely beautiful and intoxicating.

Sonic Youth has one of the most distinguished and memorable discographies on record I think. And they're one of the fewer bands that I can think of that regularly um, not reinvent themselves but just explore a bunch of different ways of executing their music. I mean, NYC Ghosts and Flowers is almost the polar opposite of Dirty and both of those records are wonderful.

Yeah, amazing band, just amazing.

shabbray2.0 08.16.2010 04:52 AM

"you must spread some reputation before giving it to asp for the murray street praise again!

Rob Instigator 08.16.2010 10:05 AM

I am down with all the sentiment on this thread.

everyone knows they are my fave band ever, in every respect, and the music joy joy they bring when they slide ther sonic fleshlight over my sonic penne-dulum is just amazing.

I alwaysd go back to sonic youth and I am invigorated, recharged

if I have been listening to one album too much, and thinking, man, maybe I am tired of sonic youth for now, I will put in an album from years before or years later and be reborn again

_slavo_ 08.16.2010 10:08 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rob Instigator again.

chicka 08.16.2010 12:23 PM

Count Mecha said it better than I can except I do listen to them weekly, more than any other band I know.

Genteel Death 08.16.2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am down with all the sentiment on this thread.

everyone knows they are my fave band ever, in every respect, and the music joy joy they bring when they slide ther sonic fleshlight over my sonic penne-dulum is just amazing.

I alwaysd go back to sonic youth and I am invigorated, recharged

if I have been listening to one album too much, and thinking, man, maybe I am tired of sonic youth for now, I will put in an album from years before or years later and be reborn again

It's all good and all that Rob. The only thing I find really surprising about yourself is that SY's influence on you seems to have had the effect of making you think that all rock music stopped rocking ''back then''. I personally find that a very un-SY attitude, or maybe we just assimilated their influence on ourselves in completely different ways.

EVOLghost 08.16.2010 04:41 PM

best thread of 2010.

EVOLghost 08.16.2010 04:43 PM

I cannot help but laugh everytime SY blows my mind.

Jeremy 08.16.2010 05:34 PM

Recently I've been riding a big SY kick again. It's funny; Despite the fact I view this forum everyday and have for a couple years now, I go through phases with Sonic Youth where I enjoy them a lot and then get annoyed with them.

At the end of the day though, despite their flaws, I know they're still easily one of my favorite bands with some amazing records. I'll probably pull out some more SY for later listening.

~Jeremy~

GeneticKiss 08.17.2010 12:39 AM

I don't listen to Sonic Youth as often as I did when I was first getting into them, but every time I do listen to them, I'm consistantly reminded why they are my favorite band and will probably continue to remain so for a long time to come.

The thing is, Sonic Youth have retained a lot of their onstage energy (not quite as much as they had in the 80s/early 90s, but enough of it) and NEVER put out a bad or sub-par album. Even though Rather Ripped was a bit bland at times and Murray Street and Sonic Nurse were acquired tastes for me at first, I could never bring myself to say any of them downright sucked.

Shouldn't this be under Sonic Gossip?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.17.2010 08:20 AM

sonic life

Mortte Jousimo 08.17.2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
I love Sonic Youth.

First: I love Sonic Youth of the bottom of my heart. I have loved the band since I heard Goo first time, but three last years my Sonic Youth interest has became even more passionate.

Second: Iīm very tired that everybody remember mention that "Rather ripped" and "the Eternal" sucks. Because I think theyīre really good, as good as the other albums. Ok, itīs very common, that band changes boring when it comes to certain age (this has happened for example Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, the Who (little exception whoīs last album was quite good)). But this will not happen all the bands and I truly think it hasnīt yet happen to Sonic Youth (Itīs not happen also Nick Cave, Captain Beefheart, Jon Spencer and Tom Waits, I think Tom Waits last records are much better than his seventies records).

You have right to think that "The Eternal" sucks, but tell me why? I find the both last albums the same Sonic Youth-elements as the others: deadly beautiful melodies and the other hand very raw chaotic elements. And I think even they sound themselves, there is also something pure in their every album. So whatīs is matter in those albums? Is it a question of belonging into a group? When somebody found that "Sonic Youth isnīt cooool anymore" everybody must have the same opinion and nobody canīt say against it (maybe fearing to be called an old fart).

Ok, if you truly, in the bottom of you heart think that Rather Ripped and the Eternal sucks, donīt keep on mentioning it all the time. You have said your opinion million times. I have said mine also many times, so I wonīt say it anymore.