Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Changing Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32600)

sarramkrop 07.02.2009 04:29 AM

Changing Musical Opinions

What bands etc made you change your mind about their records at one point or another?

dionysusundone 07.02.2009 04:43 AM

Bruce Springsteen...always hated the guy until a couple of months ago

sarramkrop 07.02.2009 04:45 AM

I like some records by The Doors, now.

Trasher02 07.02.2009 06:41 AM

Never liked David Bowie until I heard The rise and fall of Ziggy.

SYRFox 07.02.2009 06:49 AM

M.I.A. . I used to find her music dull but after much tries I now love her tunes.

Shifty Prophet 07.02.2009 06:51 AM

NYC Ghosts & Flowers.

I always liked two songs off this record since it came out. I went back and listened to it and realized how much it has grown on me byu me leaving it alone.

godsfavoritedog 07.02.2009 10:21 AM

I know it's blasphemous for someone who grew up on punk and new wave but ... The Jam. I dismissed them back when they first started out and have only recently gained an appreciation for them.

Decayed Rhapsody 07.02.2009 12:12 PM

Used to hate Fleetwood Mac and Credence Clearwater Revival, but after hearing some of Fleetwood's early records, and "Green River" and "Keep on Chooglin" I came around. Same thing goes for a lot of black metal and "punk" music being made in the 00's in general, which I stupidly dismissed as the work of luddites.

jon boy 07.02.2009 12:31 PM

sonic youth changed my mind about them with rather ripped and sonic nurse. i liked them before that.

Zombie Robot 07.02.2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
sonic youth changed my mind about them with rather ripped and sonic nurse. i liked them before that.

hey-oh! i can see that maybe with rr. but nurse? really?
what about the eternal?

demonrail666 07.02.2009 12:46 PM

'Goo' definitely changed the way I thought about SY as a band. I've liked stuff they've done since but never with the same kind of enthusiasm as what I had for the pre-Goo stuff - although, to be honest, I was starting to develop doubts when they released Daydream Nation.

jon boy 07.02.2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Robot
hey-oh! i can see that maybe with rr. but nurse? really?
what about the eternal?

still havnt got the eternal. heard a few tracks and they sound ok but just not that great, i prefer the solo stuff more nowadays.

sonic nurse was not good.

Rob Instigator 07.02.2009 12:51 PM

crybabies

Rob Instigator 07.02.2009 12:52 PM

sonic nurse is fucking AWESOME. best record since DDN IMO

Glice 07.02.2009 12:52 PM

Trapped in the Closet changed R Kelly from ubiquitous RnB to Prince-esque over-inflated ego-tastic genius (although I'm still unconvinced Kelly himself understands quite why Trapped in the Closet is so brilliant).

Strauss' Electra, possibly conducted by Solti, stopped him being lush romantic to a very complete composer indeed in my head.

Glice 07.02.2009 12:53 PM

I started to go off SY around Murray St, but Nurse definitely sealed it. Pattern recognition is brilliant, but the rest of it just makes me very weary.

jon boy 07.02.2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Trapped in the Closet changed R Kelly from ubiquitous RnB to Prince-esque over-inflated ego-tastic genius (although I'm still unconvinced Kelly himself understands quite why Trapped in the Closet is so brilliant).

Strauss' Electra, possibly conducted by Solti, stopped him being lush romantic to a very complete composer indeed in my head.

i dont know if r kelly knows that trapped in the closet was mind alteringly hilarious. he seems to take it so serious.

MellySingsDoom 07.02.2009 12:55 PM

Country music. I used to think it was ghastly, but listening to some tunes (the usual suspects) turned my feeling towards it around.

Zombie Robot 07.02.2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
still havnt got the eternal. heard a few tracks and they sound ok but just not that great, i prefer the solo stuff more nowadays.
sonic nurse was not good.

pffft. jb-get the eternal. its good. [but i thought nurse was amazing too]
solo stuff is also great, i like the syr's. im takin it that ur more of a noise boy? not into the more structured, melodic, lyrically influenced albums or what?

jon boy 07.02.2009 01:06 PM

every song i heard from the eternal just sounds kinda dull and when i hear text of light say, it sounds so much more raw and interesting. the likes of sonic nurse and the eternal will always please people i guess but when you hear the other stuff its much more exciting and less tried and tested.