Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   From The Basement DVD (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29188)

Moshe 01.30.2009 05:00 AM

From The Basement DVD

On March 3, Eagle Rock Entertainment will release From The Basement, a stunning DVD which features unique, full-length session performances from a fantastic line up of contemporary artists: Radiohead, White Stripes, Beck, Jamie Liddel, The Shins, Jarvis Cocker, Neil Hannon, Laura Marling, Sonic Youth, Eels, Albert Hammond Jr, PJ Harvey, Super Furry Animals, Damien Rice, Autolux, Jose Gonzalez and Thom Yorke.

From The Basement was broadcast on IFC in the US at the end of 2008. This release provides a lasting record of the stunning first shows. Clocking in at well over two hours of great entertainment, and being issued in special eco-friendly packaging, this is a truly special release.

From The Basement has a simple premise: "put the music first". There is no presenter and no big production. The acts go into the studio, set up and play their hearts out in front of the cameras. The mix of artists is eclectic but with an overriding common factor – they really know how to deliver a performance. The DVD opens with two exclusive performances by Radiohead from the In Rainbows album and closes with two tracks from the album performed solo by Thom Yorke. From The Basement brings together some of the best performances from the series so far and reflects the breadth of talent and styles that have graced the basement studio.

Track listing:

RADIOHEAD
1) Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
2) Reckoner
WHITE STRIPES
1) Blue Orchid / Party Of Special Things To Do
2) Red Rain

BECK
1) Motorcade
2) Cell Phone's Dead

JAMIE LIDDEL
1) In The City

THE SHINS
1) Turn On Me
2) Phantom Limb

JARVIS COCKER
1) Fat Children

NEIL HANNON
1) A Lady Of A Certain Age

LAURA MARLING
1) Your Only Doll (Dora)

SONIC YOUTH
1) The Sprawl
2) Pink Stream

EELS
1) Millicent Don't Blame Yourself
2) It's A Motherfucker

ALBERT HAMMOND JR
1) Everyone Gets A Star
2) Postal Blowfish

P.J. HARVEY
1) The Piano
2) The Devil

SUPER FURRY ANIMALS
1) Let The Wolves Howl At The Moon
2) The Gift That Keeps On Giving

DAMIEN RICE
1) Delicate
2) Blower's Daughter

AUTOLUX
1) Let It Be Broken

JOSE GONZALEZ
1) Abraham
2) High Low

THOM YORKE
1) Down Is The New Up
2) Videotape

greedrex 01.30.2009 07:41 AM

me likey Autolux. Is their new LP out. I know you guys wait them but hey.
sound really nice.

mil_pl 01.30.2009 09:15 AM

I will buy it.

greenlight 01.30.2009 11:28 AM

thanks!

Everyneurotic 01.30.2009 11:43 AM

when the best band (aside from sy, pj and thoju) in the bunch is the shins, you know you're in trouble.

and radiohead are playing crap from their album, in itunes.

o'connor 01.30.2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
me likey Autolux. Is their new LP out. I know you guys wait them but hey.
sound really nice.

i second that, and no it's not out yet. they be slacking.

greedrex 01.30.2009 05:28 PM

my post above doesn't make any sense at all!!!
i meant ' I know most of you guys HATE them but hey"

atsonicpark 01.30.2009 05:29 PM

Why are the White Stripes playing "Party Of Special Things To Do"? First of all, that song sucks; Captain Beefheart doesn't even like that song. Second of all, that cover sucks and was from some obscure single release limited to 300 copies a decade or so ago. Third of all, why not do "China Pig" or "Ashtray Heart" or something instead. Just weird.

[Sandbag] 01.30.2009 09:10 PM

good stuff... ive seen the complete radiohead basement sessions in a local record shop too.

joe11121 01.30.2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Why are the White Stripes playing "Party Of Special Things To Do"? First of all, that song sucks; Captain Beefheart doesn't even like that song. Second of all, that cover sucks and was from some obscure single release limited to 300 copies a decade or so ago. Third of all, why not do "China Pig" or "Ashtray Heart" or something instead. Just weird.

The White Stripes suck all together

SonikJesus 01.31.2009 04:29 PM

I thought SY did more than 2 songs. Are they just releasing two, or am I remembering wrong and they actually did play 2 songs?