Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Reggaeton/ Desi (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26128)

Glice 09.26.2008 06:30 PM

Reggaeton/ Desi

Ok, I don't care if you like either genre - could you recommend me a compilation to get me started on either genre?

Also, if you could recommend me a compilation on other genres I'm not aware of, that'd be great. I don't want micro-genres of rock right now, thanks.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.26.2008 08:05 PM

in the early to mid-90s reggaeton was a promising genre of spanish speaking reggae music from the caribbean and from Latin America. there were a series of really good, really conscious, really talented bands who had heart and originality...

now it is just some bourgious get laid music for spanish dance halls, and is devoid of most of its original cultural expression. you should just listen to some regular reggae instead of sexualized imitations.

max 09.27.2008 06:04 AM

right on.

ZEROpumpkins 09.27.2008 06:05 AM

Did someone just say Desu? Becuase I think I just heard someone say Desu.

Everyneurotic 09.27.2008 01:00 PM

glice, i'm only saying this to you because i respect you, please avoid reggaeton, you don't know what you are getting into.

that being said, most reggaeton comps i can think of that exist are pirate/bootlegs of hit singles mixes that flood this dear country of mine. if you're looking for something online, just google or seach on soulseek for daddy yankee, don omar, wisin & yandel and nigga and something is bound to surface.

my head hurts just thinking about that...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.27.2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
glice, i'm only saying this to you because i respect you, please avoid reggaeton, you don't know what you are getting at.

that being said, most reggaeton comps i can think of that exist are pirate/bootlegs of hit singles mixes that flood this dear country of mine. if you're looking for something online, just google or seach on soulseek for daddy yankee, don omar, wisin & yandel and nigga and something is bound to surface.

my head hurts just thinking about that...

why'd you do it? you could have left it, but you through out names like bloody mary in the third grade! we're all damned now!

Everyneurotic 09.27.2008 01:12 PM

better glice learn from his mistakes.

Toilet & Bowels 09.28.2008 06:53 AM

glice likes happy hardcore, what's the difference between that and reggaeton?

desi... is there anyone on this board who can answer that question?

Glice 09.28.2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
in the early to mid-90s reggaeton was a promising genre of spanish speaking reggae music from the caribbean and from Latin America. there were a series of really good, really conscious, really talented bands who had heart and originality...

now it is just some bourgious get laid music for spanish dance halls, and is devoid of most of its original cultural expression. you should just listen to some regular reggae instead of sexualized imitations.

I grew up on Reggae. My brother played me endless amounts of ska, lovers rock, mento, dub and the like, and I found my own way to dancehall and roots about 10 years ago.

It's not that I dont like conscious reggae; I just want to hear some Reggaeton at this current moment. I'll thank you for your advice and kindly riposte with a request to respect my desire to listen to entirely preposterous music.

'Originality' is the 20th-century's equivalent of phlogiston.

Glice 09.28.2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
glice likes happy hardcore, what's the difference between that and reggaeton?

desi... is there anyone on this board who can answer that question?

Precisely. I like get-laid music. I've managed to avoid a thread about early period R Kelly so far in my 'tenure' on this board.

Everyneurotic 09.28.2008 12:17 PM

i didn't have any idea what "desi" was but, after some research, i'm interest if someone could answer that as well.

Glice 09.28.2008 12:21 PM

Right, well, everyone keep bumping this thread until someone comes up with an answer.

Actually, I'm getting a broad at work to do me a mix CD of Desi, which she's going to get round to after Ramadan, I'll up it if it's any good.

sarramkrop 09.28.2008 12:22 PM

Chee Malabar

Andrés 09.28.2008 02:05 PM

you guys don't wanna listen to reggaeton, believe me.

Toilet & Bowels 09.28.2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Right, well, everyone keep bumping this thread until someone comes up with an answer.

Actually, I'm getting a broad at work to do me a mix CD of Desi, which she's going to get round to after Ramadan, I'll up it if it's any good.

what are the chances of you uploading it if it's a good one?

Glice 09.28.2008 02:38 PM

Quite good, although you're already aware of the fact that I don't tend to get round to things for internet people. We shall see...

Decayed Rhapsody 09.28.2008 03:13 PM

By desi.. do you mean bhangra?

Toilet & Bowels 09.29.2008 05:53 AM

maybe this is good?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/panjabihitsquad/

Edit: There's a good track around the 1:10:00 mark, the track after that is good too

batreleaser 09.29.2008 09:44 AM

i listen to a shitload of dub and dancehall. the greats like lee perry, king tubby, and augustus pablo and then the dancehall dudes like ninjaman, yellow man, super cat, shabba ranks, and others. never got into reggaeton though.

Toilet & Bowels 09.29.2008 09:55 AM

for batreleaser