Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MOUTHUS effect pedals (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20455)

whorefrost 03.14.2008 06:34 AM

MOUTHUS effect pedals

any pedal phreaks able to shed a little light on what these gizmos are/ what they do?

pantophobia 03.14.2008 06:46 AM

the middle one is an Electro Harmonix Frequency Analyzer, which is a ring modulator, i personally am not a fan, then again my last 3 EH pedal including ring mod broke

the one on right is a Line 6 Delay Modeler, kind of like an emulator which mimics different types of delay and reverb

one on the left i am not sure of hand, an older pedal for sure

whorefrost 03.14.2008 07:01 AM

I want a ring modulator and a loop pedal. I'm thinking about a Moogerfooger and a Memory Man (the digital one with loop function). Do these seem like reasonable choices?

pantophobia 03.14.2008 07:05 AM

i am not too up on loop pedals, but the moogerfooger seems top of the line

king_buzzo 03.14.2008 11:33 AM

the middle big silver one is an electro harmonix frequency analyzer... its sort of a ring modulator.

and the one on the right is a line 6 delay unit which has loads of delay presets from other famous delay pedals + loop. lots of cool soundzz

i've got two guesses for the left one; its either an older shinei fuzz or some kind of mutron pedal. in any ways its vintage.

and the little black box is just a loop from the amp.

king_buzzo 03.14.2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
I want a ring modulator and a loop pedal. I'm thinking about a Moogerfooger and a Memory Man (the digital one with loop function). Do these seem like reasonable choices?

yeah the moog is a good choice but i'm not sure if you want the memory man just because of the loop. its a really short loop with only like 14 seconds to record on and its not really user friendly... boss rc-2, akai headrush, zvex lo-fi looper are all good choices for loopers.

Everyneurotic 03.14.2008 01:03 PM

the morley one is an a/b box, for splitting the signal from the guitar to two amps or vice versa.

scott v 03.14.2008 04:01 PM

i opened for these guys when they played here earlier this year and i was talking to Brian about what that pedal was on the left... from what i remember it is a vintage octave box, sort of like the mxr blue box, i think it goes one or two octaves down with fuzz (i think), not sure of the make as it is not mu-tron or moog it looks to be a shinei... but i think its closer to a maestro (but not a maestro? if that makes any sense).

i love what can be done w/ a line 6 delay modeler but everyone that i know personanally that has owned one of these say they break down after a year or so, and from the reviews i've read on harmony central their realibility is not so great.

i personally love EH pedals as they durable and made well, though i've only have the Deluxe memory man, several big muffs and a small stone, all are modded, and have been wired for true-bypass. never tried the frequency analyzer as i'm not that interested in creating crazy messy whacked out non guitar sounds from the guitar anymore.

Everyneurotic 03.14.2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
... from what i remember it is a vintage octave box, sort of like the mxr blue box...

*slap in the forehead*

that makes perfect sense.